Book - 2018
Average Rating:
Rate this:
'An oh so clever hook for an oh so clever,gripping book, my favourite read of the year.' Sarah Pinborough'Books this ingenious don't come along very often' Michael Connelly

Publisher: London :, Orion,, 2018
Copyright Date: ©2018
ISBN: 9781409170679
Branch Call Number: FIC CAV
Characteristics: 357 pages ;,20 cm.
Alternative Title: Thirteen


From the critics

Community Activity


Add a Comment
Aug 28, 2020

Pretty clever. I think that it would have helped to have read earlier books in this series. Kristi & Abby Tabby

Aug 25, 2020

Maureen enjoyed. Read the first in the series which was The Defense. Books about an ex con-artist turned attorney. Thirteen is book #3. Book #2 is The Plea (haven't read that one as of 8/25/20).

Jul 04, 2020

OK if you want a thrill ride that is massively implausible; Kane turns out to have skills, dedication, luck, and motivation that belong in a Marvel or DC movie. rather than a supposedly realistic book. Won a British prize (Theakston/Harrogate) for best mystery of 2019.

JCLS_Ashland_Kristin Apr 22, 2020

This series is addictive. The premise is ludicrous, but it's fun. I will keep reading. I really appreciate that the female characters aren't in the book to be sexual conquests for the hero...they have agency.

Mar 06, 2020

Ellie recommend

Feb 12, 2020

Interesting premise but the villain was so unbelievable I was unable to suspend disbelief. I like nasty villains in movies and books. But I could never believe in the possibility of all the crimes he did. I don’t like ridiculous villains.

Feb 05, 2020

A good story!
When movie star Bobby Solomon is charged with murdering his wife, who costarred with him in a major film due for release, and his chief of security, both found naked in bed in Solomon's Manhattan brownstone, high-powered attorney Rudy Carp takes the defense and persuades Eddie Flynn, con man turned lawyer, to assist him. When the movie studio pulls its financial support, Carp jumps ship, but Flynn believing his client innocent stays the course, even though it means giving up a job at Carp Law that's a potential lifeline for saving his marriage. Flynn soon finds he's up against the sophisticated serial killer known to the FBI as Dollar Bill, for the distinctly marked bills he leaves by his victims. Dollar Bill's unusual MO includes targeting those charged with the murders he himself commits. From the start, it's clear to the reader that the killer has maneuvered his way onto the Solomon jury, and action accelerates when the defense team puts together the bigger picture.

Jan 14, 2020

I'm not a fan of courtroom dramas, but this is miles above any other plot I've read. Fascinating from first to last page, with a sneaky twist at the end. Terrific book.

Jan 05, 2020

I only read 53 pages of this before I couldn't take it any longer. I'd give it 1 star based on what I read, but it might have gotten better later on, so I'll give it another for the benefit of the doubt. Every character in the book is a fantasy supernatural being. The main character is a defense lawyer who refuses to represent guilty clients. There is no such creature. That would be like an emergency room physician who refuses to treat sick or injured people. When I was in law school a criminal defense lawyer - a true believer in civil liberties, etc. - told our class that 98% of his clients "told me a guilty story and most of the other 2% were lying to me." Another major character is a serial killer who is also a master actor, mimic, skilled makeup artist, accomplished hacker, and all-around genius. He is also willing to change his body weight and break his nose and his arm in order to accomplish his murders. I was in the FBI for 25 years and found that every serial killer was pretty much just a thug. Most of them were stupid although a few were skilled con men and some were good at avoiding detection by operating at night with masks, gloves, etc. In addition to that, the lawyer character was unethical as the opening scene proved, so I couldn't get behind him from the beginning.

Dec 11, 2019

Nothing special.

View All Comments

Age Suitability

Add Age Suitability

There are no age suitabilities for this title yet.


Add a Summary

There are no summaries for this title yet.


Add Notices

There are no notices for this title yet.


Add a Quote

There are no quotes for this title yet.

Explore Further

Browse by Call Number


Subject Headings


Find it at FVRL

To Top